[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 11 16:54:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 11-7-2011 12:15, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
> - What prevents YOU from using the new EM (if ever but I know this is
> the case for quite some users)

There is not that much wrong with the new EM IMO. A few things which
need improvement:

- the details are standard opened in an accordion. The alternative
windows is a lot better if it will open as large as possible (with a
useful maximum)
- some of the tabs need restyling
- update button is always visible, not only when the function says it
should show
- the list of extension lacks some details (system/local/both) and
sorting/grouping options
- the filter of upgradable extensions lacks details such as local/remote
version, changelog

The biggest problem I had is with dependencies. Especially with stacked
dependencies (ext depends on two others and one of them depends on
another) the interface becomes a mystery and often stops during the
installation of extensions. The old EM isn't very clear in such a
procedure, but at least it will complete the procedure in the end.

So far I noticed that programmers like the old EM, because it shows a
lot of information and looks "technical". Integrators tend to like the
new EM a bit better.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.