[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Mon Jul 11 12:47:29 CEST 2011

Hello Xavier,

> 1) We allow only new EM
>     => no more switch to activate old EM
>     => we have to tackle with issues the community face with the new EM
> when they chose not to use it => we need your feedback ASAP

+1

> So basically the question we have to face is this one:
>
> - What prevents YOU from using the new EM (if ever but I know this is
> the case for quite some users)
> Bugs may be solved but if some base UX stuff prevents you from using it,
> we have to evaluate if this can be enhanced until feature freeze (2nd
> August).

@UX (local/remote):
 - Just use one Tab for the repos (just use really good filters)
   e.g. with statefull buttons (preview pane in [1])
 - Before Update -> Show Release notes
 - After Update -> Show DB Upgrade and Settings
 - Place to view the release notes
 - Downloading the remote extensions should show a real progress
   (update should be done in more than one step)
 - Add ExtJS Action Buttons to the grid for common actions
 - Indicate updateable extensions in the local filter
 - add extension categorie search filters

@UX(lang)
 - fully ok

@UX(Settings)
 - Move TER User credentials to users settings, as it is user dependend
   and not system wide, what the current place suggests

@Bugs
 - Better detection of problems
   Sometimes updating fails (due to connection problems, while the old
     one works)
   Sometimes timeouts when uploading extensions (works with old one)
 - detect old TERs and remove them from the list

Generally the new EM is a step in the right direction, but there some
minor glitches.

There also some small other glitches i do not remember right now.

Thanks in advice
Kay

[1] http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-3.4.0/examples/forum/forum.html