[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Jul 11 12:15:36 CEST 2011

Dear community,

I'd like to get your point of view regarding the EM and what to do for
TYPO3 4.6.

My goal is simple: I want only one EM in 4.6.

What does it mean? In short, both old and new EM code are currently
somehow tight together (old EM using code from "new", "new" relying on
HTML produced by the old to show the configuration tabs). Thus removing
completely either the old or the new code is not possible as such.

However, what we currently have is a switch that allows anybody to (re-)
activate the old EM while keeping the "Extension Manager" entry pointing
to the new EM within the function menu.

For 4.6 I suggest either options:

1) We allow only new EM
	=> no more switch to activate old EM
	=> we have to tackle with issues the community face with the new EM
when they chose not to use it => we need your feedback ASAP

2) We allow only old EM
	=> still needs some hidden "development" setting to let the
contributors possibly fix issues? Not sure!
	=> working with an external project, e.g., on Forge would be the best
option anyway as the new one would not be active anymore
	=> rethink about the point 1) when new EM has evolved

So basically the question we have to face is this one:

- What prevents YOU from using the new EM (if ever but I know this is
the case for quite some users)

Bugs may be solved but if some base UX stuff prevents you from using it,
we have to evaluate if this can be enhanced until feature freeze (2nd
August).

Thanks for all your valuable feedback.

--
Xavier Perseguers