[TYPO3-v4] Postponing RC1 to Saturday in the afternoon

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Sat Jan 22 14:00:47 CET 2011

Hi Stefano,

> BUT: why don't take some more time? a few weeks more?
> i know that it's always nice to meet deadlines... but it seems to me
> that we are running a bit too fast, to be so near to final release.
Unfortunately release dates aren't that flexible anymore for the
programmers of TYPO3.
"Rule" is: Short cycles, but keep in time.
However the fact, how much power of decision RMs/Core Team have and how
much things like marketing or staying in plan count, have to and will
for sure be discussed.
Planning release parties makes postponing pretty impossible. I have not
enough insights, how reactions would be, if RMs would have liked to
postpone 2 weeks ago. Now: Too late -> drop unstable things.

> also because this will be a 3 years maintained version... so all API and
> features should be thought really well
I would say the API is no problem. It's more about naming of classes,
which was brought up by Ingo last night.

> i see for example that tonight you dropped Plupload.. since it is really
> more maintained than actual flash uploader.. would it nicer to take some
> time and make it work..
> maybe fix all latest bug in 4.5.1, instead of keeping for next 3 years
> the flash uploader?
No, that's principle of short recycles: Unstable? -> Drop it and retry
with next version.
Problem was not plupload itself, but the unfinished integration (see my
2 reviews).

> if a few weeks more would be taken, there would be time to fix all
> documentation, translations, test new EM and WS extjs modules..
ack, more testing time is never bad, especially in this case.

> i am quite sure most people will wait for 4.5.1 before upgrading
that's nothing new

Kind regards
Steffen

--