[TYPO3-v4] HTML5 is HTML now

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Fri Jan 21 16:34:17 CET 2011

On 21-1-11 16:01 , Sebastian Michaelsen wrote:
> Maybe you've heard it: http://blog.whatwg.org/html-is-the-new-html5
Yes, I'm the one responsible for this thread ;-)

> This is not only ridiculous because I bought the HTML5 T-Shirt but also
> because I engaged myself for a correct spelling of HTML5 in TYPO3.
Ah well, you can always tell your grandchildren what went wrong in the
year 2011 and that you were an early adapter of new technologies.

> By that the option for config.doctype "html_5" renamed to "html5" (old
> spelling deprecated).
> Bugtracker reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=17001
>
> Should the WHATWG's decision have any consequences for us now?
> It's quite likely that W3C will follow the WHATWG and the term HTML5
> will die*.
Aha, there you have it. It's quite likely! Currently the W3C is still
using the name HTML5, not HTML. That's a decision WHATWG made which has
not been adapted by the W3C until now.

> I think it's quite important to have a "correct way" to declare an HTML
> Doctype in TYPO3 4.5 because it will be around for a minimum of 3 years
> and future technologies should be in its focus.
Of course it is important, but right now it's not clear what the correct
way is. Until then, let's keep it like it is. The whole specification is
far from being finished and we cannot predict how it will be called in
2022 ;-)

> My suggestion is to keep "html5" as an option and to add "html" as an
> alias for "html5". But I don't insist that it's the perfect solution.
I think at this point we should not change anything and leave it as it
is. As I mentioned earlier, this decision has been made by WHATWG and
has not been adapted by the W3C, who launched this new logo a few days
ago. It's WHATWG vs W3C again (Deja vu).

Since W3C is still the leading organization for this, I recommend to
wait with changes until the W3C has made a decision on this topic.

Patrick