[TYPO3-v4] HTML5 is HTML now

Sebastian Michaelsen sebastian.gebhard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 16:01:05 CET 2011

Maybe you've heard it: http://blog.whatwg.org/html-is-the-new-html5

This is not only ridiculous because I bought the HTML5 T-Shirt but also because I engaged myself for
a correct spelling of HTML5 in TYPO3.

By that the option for config.doctype "html_5" renamed to "html5" (old spelling deprecated).
Bugtracker reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=17001

Should the WHATWG's decision have any consequences for us now?
It's quite likely that W3C will follow the WHATWG and the term HTML5 will die*.

I think it's quite important to have a "correct way" to declare an HTML Doctype in TYPO3 4.5 because
it will be around for a minimum of 3 years and future technologies should be in its focus.

My suggestion is to keep "html5" as an option and to add "html" as an alias for "html5". But I don't
insist that it's the perfect solution.

I hope for any other voices.

Kind regards,
Sebastian