[TYPO3-v4] Minutes from the extraordinary Release Manager Meeting

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Jan 20 13:24:45 CET 2011

Hi,

> What about core documentation? There is still very much documentation
> missing, even for TYPO3 4.3.

Yes, a lot of documentation is missing and I deeply regret that. Until
recently the update of the documentation was mostly up to just me,
because it's not so convenient to collaborate with OpenOffice.

In the meantime a real team has formed around the Getting Started and
the TS in 45 minutes tutorial, which is already a great improvement.
Then even more recently I accepted help from Christopher Stelmaszyk on
TSref and TSconfig documentation and he's been doing a lot of work.

The main issue we were having with 4.5 (4.4 was pretty much the same)
was that the UI was stabilized only very late. Indeed I'm only confident
to start making screenshots starting with RC1, which leaves only a few
days to the final release. Hence there's no way the documentation will
be up to date concurrently. But I hope it can happen as soon as possible.

Short release cycles are still something pretty new and it's only normal
that it takes some time getting used to that. I was unhappy about the
development process of 4.4 and feel also badly about 4.5 (note that I'm
not talking about the product itself, just the process). It's definitely
a topic I will raise again. The need for a stabilized UI absolutely
needs to be better taken into account for future versions. I'm sure this
can be improved.

> Is Francois working on that? Is help needed there?

I'm not working on that yet, because I'm also helping with Core stuff,
but I'm certainly aware of it ;-)

Yes, we would need help. As long as we're using OpenOffice, we have to
restrict the number of people working on a given manual, because binary
files can't be versioned. This will improve enormously with DocBook.

In the meantime I will accept help from trusted people and I would
certainly trust you. So if you're willing to help, welcome aboard, let's
start discussing what you could do :-) Any area of preference?

Francois Suter