[TYPO3-v4] Core performance for 4.6 and beyond

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Thu Feb 10 15:16:41 CET 2011

Hey,

On 02/10/2011 02:38 PM, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> May be I am the first one who used caching framework for caching various
> objects on high load web site.

We use the cf on high loaded systems as well, with great success,
caching plays a key role.

> Regarding [1] - I know all that because I helped to improve caching
> framework after it was introduced (specifically memcached part). There
> is nothing new for me there.

Great, so you now all disadvantages of the memcache backend and why you
shouldn't use it for serious installations.

> Memcache has lots of free memory on my server (I gave it nearly 2G).
> Most problems happen when working with tags. Often it takes over 2
> minutes and timeouts in PHP. It is always at the same function (related
> to tags).

memcache backend sucks with heavy tagging. A backend which scales pretty
well with tags (we have page and content cache entries with 150 tags and
more) is native mysql (up to some level) and redis.

> Half a year ago I had my own cache implementation, which used memcached
> as well. It kept approximately the same amount of objects but it did not
> have tags. So I migrated to TYPO3 caching framework because I did not
> want to implement tags myself.

So, your comparison is 'not cached' versus 'tons of caches on different
levels with cf', and you experience a major loss in performance. It's
not about 'old caching' versus 'new caching', so your load numbers are
completely irrelevant for our discussion.

> I guess caching framework has performance problems because caching
> framework is too generic. It tries to do all things right and as a
> result it had bad performance. It needs to be more lightweight. Than it
> will be usable in big projects.

I don't think so. Per cache 2 classes (+2 interfaces and abstracts) are
needed: FE and BE, they are slim and codewise straight forward. The more
caches you run the quicker is the instantiation. If you hack up your own
caching solution for your special need, you might be quicker if done
right. The high flexibility of the cf is it's main advantage, expecially
for big projects.

Regards
Christian