[TYPO3-v4] Core performance for 4.6 and beyond

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:38:25 CET 2011

Hi!

Christian Kuhn wrote:
> I've seen your tweet and can not think of any situation leading to this
> major impact. Would you like to analyze / post your configuration to
> find your bottleneck? Did you take a look at [1]?

May be I am the first one who used caching framework for caching various
objects on high load web site (it is like a social network, thousands of
users at the same time browsing). I used all TYPO3 caches and cached many
objects from extensions (templates from files, database records, generated
output of plugins). So the load on the caching framework was large. I guess
I had nearly 10 different caches.

Regarding posting the configuration: how do you imagine that? It is not
that much TS, it is mostly PHP code. There are about 20 extensions and I
cannot post them to public.

Regarding [1] - I know all that because I helped to improve caching
framework after it was introduced (specifically memcached part). There is
nothing new for me there.

Memcache has lots of free memory on my server (I gave it nearly 2G). Most
problems happen when working with tags. Often it takes over 2 minutes and
timeouts in PHP. It is always at the same function (related to tags).

Half a year ago I had my own cache implementation, which used memcached as
well. It kept approximately the same amount of objects but it did not have
tags. So I migrated to TYPO3 caching framework because I did not want to
implement tags myself. You know the result: it is easier to run without caches.

I guess caching framework has performance problems because caching
framework is too generic. It tries to do all things right and as a result
it had bad performance. It needs to be more lightweight. Than it will be
usable in big projects.

> [1] http://wiki.typo3.org/Caching_framework

I use 4.4.6.

--