[TYPO3-v4] Minutes from the first meeting of the release team after 4.5.0 release

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Thu Feb 3 23:48:24 CET 2011

Hi,

On 03.02.11 15:00, Sebastian Michaelsen wrote:
> Am 02.02.2011 23:22, schrieb Patrick Gaumond:
>> Yes, but without running a popularity contest, it's easy to spot jQuery based extensions in TER
>> while there's almost none done with ExtJS.
>>
>> In the end we got 90% jQuery FE extensions the remaining being mostly MooTools or old Prototype and

Most frontend plugins use JS actions for DOM manipulations and animations.

>> a Backend done with a JSframework almost unknown in our community...

I do not share this point of view. Before extbase has been started
inspired by FLOW3, this PHP framework was totally unkown in our
community. This absolutely does not mean exbase is a wrong choice,
neither is ExtJs.

> Not being a big fan of ExtJS either I want to add that jQuery and ExtJS are working totally different.

That's exactly the point. You cannot compare these frameworks.

> jQuery is a small (in KB measures) but powerful framework mainly for DOM modifications and
> animations which is especially useful on Frontend Websites.

That's why jQuery perfectly fits as a JS framework for (most) frontend
tasks.

> ExtJS is focused on building RIA and is bigger (in KB measures) which makes it less suitable for a
> regular Website Frontends.

But it perfectly fits in things we'd like to achieve in the backend,
which is: "make it feel like a desktop application".

I'm also no ExtJs pro, but reading the ExtJs code and see how this plays
together with the PHP API makes me very confident, that ExtJs is the
right choice.

(just my 2 cents)

Kind regards,
Helmut