[TYPO3-v4] Abandoning patches

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 20 11:18:36 CET 2011

Hi,

On 20-12-2011 10:07, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Several patches that I submitted or reviewed were abandoned by various
> persons with reasons like "issue XYZ will take care of it" or "FAL will do
> this anyway".

I thought that only the submitter and admins could abandon a change. I
expect those people to be responsible. If other can abandon a change,
something isn't right in the configuration IMO.

> We need to fix bugs here and now. We can't wait until somebody somewhere
> somehow in some future fixes it if we have a ready fix right now in Gerrit.

+1. Even if "FAL will do it anyway" and it's a bugfix then older
branches can use it.

> I think people should be prohibited from abandoning changes unless the
> change breaks something OR they immediately submit a better solution. That
> would be fair for each of developers and good for TYPO3.

Abandon is useful for:
- incorrect patch, wrong branch, something went wrong during push, etc.
- patch is fundamentally wrong (either author or admin should do this)

A better solution can be pushed as a new version for the same issue.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.