[TYPO3-v4] Abandoning patches

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 10:07:52 CET 2011

Hi guys!

Several patches that I submitted or reviewed were abandoned by various
persons with reasons like "issue XYZ will take care of it" or "FAL will do
this anyway". However nothing was submitted to fix issues I fixed with my
patches. This worries me because it does not feel right to abandon working
solutions in favor of no action. Nobody knows when FAL is coming (and don't
tell it is definitely coming in "this version" because v5 was definitely
coming in 2007). Neither the alternative bug fix was submitted. So at least
two things stay non-fixed.

We need to fix bugs here and now. We can't wait until somebody somewhere
somehow in some future fixes it if we have a ready fix right now in Gerrit.
So do not abandon changes that are useful for TYPO3. With such actions you
do not do any good for TYPO3, you actually do bad to our loved CMS.

Another thing about it. I now wonder whether I should continue making
patches? If i spend two hours of hard work and later somebody abandons that
in a second with a clearly unjustified reason... Why would I spend more
time making patches? They can be abandoned any time, which means I am just
loosing time here. I'd better do something else than a patch that anybody
can effortlessly abandon.

I think people should be prohibited from abandoning changes unless the
change breaks something OR they immediately submit a better solution. That
would be fair for each of developers and good for TYPO3.

Thank you for reading.

--
-- Dmitry.