[TYPO3-v4] custom extension: XLIFF only?

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Dec 14 08:46:44 CET 2011

Hi,

> should extension, especially my ext:news, deliver translation as xml only?
>
> I have seen the xliff extension and how it works but I am still
> hesitating making this move.

I'd say that you should face the present, not the past and deliver
XLIFF. The question is "XLIFF only or both format"?

I have no clear answer here I must say... I'd tend to think that
personally I'd deliver XLIFF only and rely on extension xliff for
backward compatibility.

A bug (?) popped up in English mailing list yesterday with overrideXML
but once this is sorted out (either bug or misconfiguration), I think
XLIFF implementation is stable and might be a candidate for a possible
inclusion in TYPO3_4-5_backport because I cannot think of asking me this
very question again in 2 years...

> and stupid question: the new translation server still delivers correct
> translations for 4-5, right?

And for previous versions as well, yes, it delivers both .xml and .xlf

Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6