[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.6 (Change I4199cb8c) Redirect Problem

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Dec 5 11:56:15 CET 2011

Hi,

Kay Strobach schrieb am 04.12.2011 21:00:
> Mhmm duplicate content may realy be a problem :( - that's the reason for
> me liking the new behaviour :(

But what exactly is your problem with this duplicate content??

I expect that many TYPO3 pages have a "Home" which is a shortcut to the
first subpage just to serve as a portal. I've seen tons of sites build
like this, and we have build tons of sites like this too.

So with TYPO3 4.5 you (and Google & Co) would access http://example.com/
and would *get the starting page*. There would be still a
http://example.com/home.html page (with duplicate content), but Google
would most probably use the "/" URL in its search results (because
others will link to that). You just have to make sure you also link to
that intra-site (and not to /home.html).

The "penalty" from Google is that http://example.com/home.html will not
show up in the search results => which is ok, and you probably want
exactly that behavior.

Now with 4.6 we redirect from / to /home.html. This means Google will no
longer have "/" in it's index and will then use the "/home.html" URL as
the main URL.

One benefit you could argue is that your starting URL will collect page
rank (incoming links) for both URLs on a single entity, which was not
the case before. But then again, you have the "canonical" meta tag that
can solve that in our current days (was not available before).

So I will miss the old way of dealing with it. A new feature, one could
argue, that would allow to "Display this page instead" (including all
TypoScript settings), which would be a more full blown version of
"Display content of this page instead". So people could generate this
kind of duplicate content explicitly.