[TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 14th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 25 22:55:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 25-8-2011 16:03, Susanne Moog wrote:
> How about the possibility for some "gerrit managers" (or the core team
> or ...) to abandon patches from others and a rule saying that patches
> that have negative reviews and were not updated for 4 weeks can be
> abandoned? That way you can clean the review system depending on the
> patch "quality" and not only on the time frame because I think it's ok
> if a patch without votes stays in gerrit (so maybe someone reviews it)
> but I'm annoyed by the amount of patches with negative votes that are
> neither updated nor abandoned.

Yes, we need some way to express or measure quality if there need to be
some cleanup.

All the automatic rules for closing/removing things always give me the
impression that the person who filed the bug report or patch has more to
gain than the project.
It's like the project says: "we don't understand something, explain it
and if you don't do this within x days the report is closed; then it's
your problem", while in fact reporting a problem is the first step
towards improving the product.

The same can be said about patches. In fact we already have a
patch-for-a-patch "rule". A negative vote which is not about blocking
the entire concept should be followed by a new version (like we used to
do with RFCs) which fixes the problems.

As has been suggested a few times in the past, it would really be useful
to have a paid developer who will monitor changes without votes or
orphaned changes and (help) decide what to do with them (or ask or hire
someone to take care of them).

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.