[TYPO3-v4] Possible customizations of the page tree in BE?

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Oct 26 16:59:11 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I'm facing a client request which would require some changes to the
display of the page tree in the TYPO3 BE and I'm not sure what amount of
work it can represent as I'm not very familiar with this part of the
core. Furthermore I'm wondering if the ideas that were floated during
the discussion could be interesting for the core or not.

Here's the story: imagine BE users having a lot of file mounts, spread
all over the page tree of a very large site. As these file mounts refer
to the same department in many places, they have the same name. Thus the
user is faced with mount points all bearing the same name and with no
relation to the rest of the page tree, which makes it difficult to know
in which part of the page tree is each mount point.

So the idea would be to display the parent pages of each mount point up
to the root. Alternatively display the whole page tree. Whatever the
solution this means that pages outside of the mount points should -
ideally - be "inactive" (for example, grayed out and not clickable) so
that users cannot act on them (and it's also visually clear that they
can't).

I find to hard to estimate how difficult this can be, especially with
all the AJAX calls that update the page tree, as these must make sure
not to change the "uneditable" status of pages outside the mount points.

I would be glad to have some opinions about this idea and its
feasibility. Thanks in advance.

Francois Suter