[TYPO3-v4] help configuration in 4.5 moved?

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Thu Oct 21 19:58:02 CEST 2010

> In RFC #15990 it was decided together with the Design Team that we don't
> need that option (setup.default.edit_showFieldHelp) anymore. But I
> personally also find that option useful.
>
> Currently there is no one (that I know) working on bringing it back, but
> I guess if we find enough interested persons, someone might find the
> proper solution and propose a patch. I expect that if it works, no one
> would be against it, right?

I'm for dropping configuration switches, if they make no sense (in my
eyes). Do you know other applications having a configurable help system?

"better defaults" is IMHO the way to go. Not only for utf8, but also for
Backend configurations.

I follow Jens' argumentation: Do your desktop applications show lengthy
explanations all the time? No. If you need help you (should) know that
you get tool tips.

Maybe we should think about our labels and improve them (but that was
already part of Joey's work, wasn't it?).

Kind regards
Steffen

--
Steffen Gebert