[TYPO3-v4] RFC: Visibility keywords throught the Core

Sebastian Fischer sf at marketing-factory.de
Mon Oct 11 08:50:19 CEST 2010

Am 10.10.2010 10:45, schrieb François Suter:
> Hi Marcus,
>
>> Why this change:
>> * A defined API is just a part of good OOP design.
>> * A defined visibility allows us easily refactor existing code.
>> *_put your reasons here_
>>
>> I'd love to hear your opinions!
>
> This totally makes sense. Actually the work has been done in the past
> for a couple of classes, but - as you mention - not the majority. I'm
> globally all for it, you must just remember that it is a difficult
> exercise as the risk of breaking existing stuff is very real: you never
> know what public variable people may access in their extensions.
>
> Given the potential for breaking existing stuff, it seems safer to me to
> do such a massive cleanup in 4.6.
>
> Cheers

I would summerize the current situation as, all current methods should
be declared public. Because of the given reasen of François. You dont
know what methodes or attributes are in use anywhere.

Instead of makeing them protected, i would surgest to mark them
deprecated, log every call in the deprecation log and make them
protected in one release later. So everyone gets warned and can update
their extension, atleast when they are aware of the deprecation log.

Greetings