[TYPO3-v4] New Default Configuration Options for 4.4

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri May 7 11:12:12 CEST 2010

Hi Thorsten,

>>  * checking for mbstring, if available, set this as default csConv option
>>  * UTF-8 database by default (setting setDBinit, forceCharset)
>>  * GDlib2 instead of GDlib1 by default (maybe remove GDlib1 support
>> completely anyways, or set it to deprecated)
>>  * TTFdpi set to 96 by default
>
> I didn't come across any /new/ installation, where settings differed
> from your suggested new defaults. So +1 from me for those changes.

OK.

>> In an additional effort, I could see having an update wizard that takes
>> care of setting these options for existing installations, but for now I
>
> Changing the setDBinit by a wizard doesn't seem too clever to me. This
> would screw up the DB contents in most cases.

All of these settings (including those from above) should only affect
new sites (hence they are only shipped with the dummy tgz).

If this is not the case, I agree that we need to discuss this again. In
my opinion, UTF-8 migrations cannot be automated, we can only guide
those users who don't use it yet.

- michael