[TYPO3-v4] What to do with $TYPO3_USER_SETTINGS?

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Mar 12 16:40:11 CET 2010

Hi all,

As I'm working (still) on updating the Core APIs manual, I'm face with
adding the documentation for this new global array $TYPO3_USER_SETTINGS.
The documentation has been prepared by Steffen, so that's not the issue.

This new TCA-like structure was introduced so that the "User settings"
screen could be manipulated and extended easily. On the principle, this
is all well and nice. But at the time I expressed the feeling that it
was a bad idea to create a global array just for the User settings. What
are we going if other BE forms start using the same mechanism? Have one
global array per form? At the time I suggested have a single such global
array, of which User settings would be just one element, something like:

$BEFORMS['user_settings']

or something similar. The problem with having too many global arrays is
that we lose the oversight. Global array can be viewed in the Admin
Tools > Configuration module, but they need to be added manually for
each array. How many are we going to have eventually. With the above
syntax, there would be only one.

My remark was turned down at the time and I wasn't disturbed enough to
fight more for my idea. I still this array was bad idea and I would
quite like the structure to be improved. In the meantime I am loathe to
document this feature, as I don't think that it should survive as is.

What do you think?

--

Francois Suter