[TYPO3-v4] Deprecation might be to restrictive

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Jul 12 22:34:41 CEST 2010

Hi,

> Don't misunderstand me, i like the new API, but TYPO3 was great because
> of compatibility, and this has changed now in a way forcing extension
> authors to update.

I agree with that. This is a bigger change than usual so it is
appropriate to handle it differently. Especially since changing an
extension to use the new Sprite API will break its compatiblity with
4.3, which was released only six months ago.

I think the way to go is to raise awareness about the new API. A new
official manual about it is under way (although I've had no new of its
progress recently (hint, hint ;-) )) and that's a very important step. A
core blog entry with a short API overview could also help, as well maybe
as a couple of showcase extensions.

I'm under the impression that managing the compatibility of extensions
is not simple for many developers. I recently discussed that topic with
someone and my rule of thumb is the following: I try to define a set of
features for every extension that I do that I consider to be
fundamental. When that feature set is reached I can consider that my
extension is feature complete. Until that point I try to be compatible
with all current TYPO3 versions, so that people running older
installations can still benefit from improvements to the extension. Once
that feature complete status is reached, I can start work on a new major
release that may be compatible only with newer versions of TYPO3,
without feeling that I let down extension users. Maybe I should write a
post in buzz about that. It might help some people make a decision.

As for the deprecation itself, I propose to hold it off until 4.6,
especially since we don't have the sprite generator yet.

Francois Suter