[TYPO3-v4] Remove @version annotation from files

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Wed Aug 18 22:14:56 CEST 2010

Hey,

I'd like to backport an issue from FLOW3, and want to hear your opinion
before creating the patch to not waste my time if someone doesn't like
it and vetoes.

http://forge.typo3.org/issues/8835

<quote>
Remove @version annotation from FLOW3 classes

currently each PHP class contains the following line
  * @version $Id: $
That is replaced by SVN clients (if configured correctly) before comitting.

With the move to Git that won't be the case any longer, so we should get
rid of these annotations.
AFAIK there is no corresponding feature in Git, but IMO we don't need
the revision in the file or have any of you ever counted on the @version
annotation? Besides, it makes backporting a very tedious job.
</quote>

I'd like to do the same for v4 for the following reasons:
- The line is of limited use: svn log" tells this as well and more. Even
without svn (packages), it's still not very usefull to know when a file
was last changed (real history is missing).
- The feature is nowhere really documented, eg. my personal local svn
client is *not* configured to replace this line by the real version when
committing, it's currently inconsistent in the core.
- It's pita to work with it: If you "svn diff" a file with changes +-3
around this line, "svn diff" sets this line to " * @version $Id: $" in
it's diff, while the real line is different. This is an svn bug which is
already reported for ages but still not fixed yet. It leads to failing
hunks when trying to re-apply this change (backporting, apply to a clean
checkout before committing, ...).
- We don't need it anymore if we change to git as well.
- It's also a problem if mixing core svn with some other version system,
eg. "git rebase" happily fails if there are local changes +-3 lines.

I already wasted hours with this stupid thing and would like to get rid
of it, just as FLOW3 did.

Other opinions? Anyone thinks this "feature" is *really* usefull and needed?

Regards
Christian