[TYPO3-v4] Highlight extbase extensions

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 16 22:02:54 CEST 2010

Hi Ingmar,

On 16-8-2010 16:19, Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>> I don't like that because many people do not like Extbase and hsuch
>> highlighting looks like forcing Extbase on people. It is like if somebody
>> decided to force his own personal preferences onto others. Bad. There are

In this regard I like Bastian's idea of using dependencies to show these
kinds of list. tt_news related extension, extbase related, etc.

> Well, it's not about forcing, but it's about highlighting what our
> opinion about the future for extension development is, I would say.

Maybe a small difference but "highlighting one's opinion" comes very
close to forcing.

> And sure, it is a way of pushing Extbase based extensions, but that's
> the aim of it in the first place.

And pushing comes even closer...

What's the aim? Making everybody use extbase based extensions? Why? 4.5
will be around til 2014.
You could say that Extbase will prepare you for the future of TYPO3. But
you could as easily say that Extbase is a backport of a piece of alpha
software; hardly anything to put in a production environment.

The same situation described in two different ways.

Extbase/FLOW3 and Fluid shouldn't need pushing, highlighting and other
forceful measures. The quality and other advantages should speak for
themselves.

What about a variation of Bastian's suggestion: in TER and/or EM a list
of "related extensions" (= also depending on one of the dependencies of
the current extension) is shown.
This will do the highlighting while not being unfair to other
frameworks, etc.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert