[TYPO3-v4] Preview Review of t3lib_spritemanager_spritegenerator

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at think-open.at
Tue Aug 10 11:38:34 CEST 2010

Hello !

Am 2010-08-10 08:39, schrieb Steffen Ritter:

> Furthermore I think there is no sense and no real chance to use svg
> ever, why: it's much more work to create, adapt and handle them.
> Furthermore SVG are user-side rendered... For hundreds of icons in the
> be this would cost massive computing power at the clients side.
> In Addition Sprites are meant to be to reduce the http request,
> introducing single svg's would be contraproductive.

I think it is quite possible, but that would have to get proven by
someone. I am not a designer but I know the enormous amount of work it
would take to get together a whole matching proper icon set for the
whole BE.

Well but as far as I understood your description of the sprite manager
API it should be possible. AFAIK one can add SVG images as background
image into css. At least when using firefox.

I think modern browsers could handles this quite well. At least firefox
renders SVG images like a piece of curtain burns when its soaked with
petrol :) I think they also cache the pixelgraphic they rendered at some
specific magnification.

greets,
Bernhard