[TYPO3-v4] Preview Review of t3lib_spritemanager_spritegenerator

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Tue Aug 10 08:39:00 CEST 2010

Am 10.08.2010 01:55, schrieb Bernhard Kraft:
> Hello !
>
> Am 2010-07-06 19:09, schrieb Steffen Ritter:
>
>> attached is my Sprite-Generator class I currently was working on.
>> I would like you to do a little "preview-review":
>
> One question about icons, sprites and other similar stuff:
>
> Is it intended to replace icons in the BE by SVG at some time?
> My firefox properly supports SVGs and they are much nicer when you scale
> your browser using Alt+ or Alt- compared to pixeled icons.
>
> Is this already possible with the new spritemanager? I hope so :)
>

> greets,
> Bernhard

well I think you mixup completely the whole topic a little bit.

- the "SpriteAPI" just applies a given CSS rule for each Icon you ask
for, if you manage to register an an svg for each icon: you can

- the sprite manager is there to manage the icons database: which icon
is present in the system under which name. if there is a Handler Class
registered to the sprite-Manager which handles SVGs in any way - this
would do the job, too.

- the sprite generator is triggered by an handler class if needed, its
task is about merging many px graphics into one sprite. with svg this
would not make much sense. therefore this point would not work.

Furthermore I think there is no sense and no real chance to use svg
ever, why: it's much more work to create, adapt and handle them.
Furthermore SVG are user-side rendered... For hundreds of icons in the
be this would cost massive computing power at the clients side.
In Addition Sprites are meant to be to reduce the http request,
introducing single svg's would be contraproductive.

But as I said 1 and 2 might be able to handle this (if svgs are usable
as css backgrounds) you f.e. might put the TYPO3 Logo as SVG (with would
not be IE6 compatible anyways).

regards