[TYPO3-v4] Motivation for making patches or how to speed up the review process

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Apr 14 08:25:21 CEST 2010

Hi Stefano,

>>> I think you didn't get the idea. Stefano meant a "testing-trunk",
>>> i.e. a separate SVN that is there "just for fun" and independant
>>> of the main trunk.
>>
>> Which is a good idea indeed, since it will enable "non coders" to
>> test this trunk with different browser/OS combinations than the
>> usual developer stuff (which currently seems to be FF/MAC) long
>> before any official release. This way you will get immediate
>> feedback, which should improve overall quality a lot.

Partly. It is a good attempt for testing browser compatibility - and
only that. For all other changes - like IRRE or workspace fixes - this
would imply that actually only one system is tested. So no check for
side-effects on TemplaVoila, DAM, or without any of them.

After all I don't believe that a shared trunk will be of any help. If
people would be willing to try patches, it would already be very easy to
do that using the patch program.

> that's was the imagine i had in mid, thank you for explaining it
> better! :)
>
> i never used Git (only starting hearing about it's huge "social"
> features)... but right now simple SVN clients (Versions or
> Cornerstone) supports just Subversions.. so i think to use Git
> (server side problems apart) would also  need "us" normal developers
> to learn another piece of technology..

You won't need Git if you don't want to use it. We're still on SVN...

- michael