[TYPO3-v4] Motivation for making patches or how to speed up the review process

Stefano Cecere scecere at krur.com
Tue Apr 13 16:36:42 CEST 2010

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:17:05 +0200, Dmitry Dulepov
<dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Francois Suter wrote:
>> What about a right to submit new patches? For every patch that you
>> review (reading & testing) you gain 1 credit to submit a patch. Without
>> credits, you can't submit new patches. This could help balance reviews
>> vs submissions.
>
> So if I make a couple of indexed search patches, I will not be able to
> post
> them unless I have enough reviews. This means these bugs will stay
> unfixed
> for another couple of years in the official TYPO3 SVN. Does this sounds
> right? ;) Think about it. I already put effort into making a patch,
> debugging and testing. Now I need to earn a right to post that patch.
> Huh?
> Not motivating at all, sorry :)

i'm no pro PHP coder nor TYPO3 core expert, but just a normal 360°
developer and i have an idea:

for me  and i guess for tons of normal developers it's difficult to make
some real testing of patches (get the diff apply it etc..)
it would be easier if there was a testing-trunk of the core, where every
core dev applies his patches telling everybody: hey i just applied that
new feature NXXXXXX, fixed that bug, please test it!
we could get instant testing environment and give feedback in few minutes.

after this former testing , some other core dev could give a final look at
the code and apply it to the official trunk

would this accelerate anything?
at least the patch would get (fast!) to the final core review after
passing under some normal developers test...

just my 2c

stefano