[TYPO3-v4] Moving predefined settings out of the core

Susanne Moog typo3 at susannemoog.de
Wed Apr 7 17:48:32 CEST 2010

Hey Joey, hey all,

On 07.04.2010 10:13, JoH asenau wrote:
>> Why?
>> - Without either CSS styled content or the static templates extension
>> those options make no sense at all, because you need some rendering
>> that processes them. Atm that is delivered mostly by CSS styled
>> content so logically the options should be in there, too.
>> - Moving them to both extensions and setting them to deprecated in CSS
>> styled content would additionally give the possibility to get rid of
>> them (I mean, who needs those background colors? CSS styled content,
>> right? (emphasis on CSS!) ;))
>
> Setting them to "deprecated" or getting rid of them IMHO is no good idea,
> since newbies won't ever guess how to handle stuff like frames, different CE
> layouts and others, without having these very useful examples.
> If the emphasis is on CSS, this means we should change the way they are
> handled now and deliver default CSS settings for them. For many (especially
> non professional) people these defaults are just enough to setup a basic
> website and we should not take them away just because others might be on the
> "TYPO3 is an enterprise level CMS" trip.

Well then how about - like someone already mentioned - moving them to a
small dedicated new sysext, something like "feature examples" or "basic
settings" so people can still use them either as examples or as base for
their sites but they don't clutter up a normal installation. I remove
them on a lot of sites manually at the moment (or simply disable the
corresponding fields). As for the examples argument: we would have to
provide a lot more default clutter as examples, because you can do many
many many things with TYPO3 that aren't used in the basic setup ;)

> And BTW: There is a parallel universe besides XHTML, so having stuff like
> bgcolor="#123456" for tables, rows and cells is not always deprecated. Maybe
> it's a better approach to change the way this stuff gets handled based on
> config settings instead of completely reomving it, so that people who are
> using basic HTML as their output can still work with it.

Yes, there is. But as Jigal already mentioned, they are deprecated as of
HTML4. Additionally, if you want TYPO3 to render valid e.g. HTML3 or
whatever you have to change a lot of things anyway --> CSS styled
content on the whole for example, which means you very likely know what
you are doing and have no problem with adding a background color to the
table element (especially if there is said example extension).

Best regards and thanks for your thoughts,

Susanne