[TYPO3-v4] Moving predefined settings out of the core

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Wed Apr 7 10:13:38 CEST 2010

Since Patrick already handed the job of being the Devil's advocate over to
me, I will answer here ...

> while discussing bug #11316 on the core list the idea came up that it
> would be a good idea to move some of the predefined settings out of
> the core.
>
> Which settings?
> - stuff like the predefined background colors of the table element or
> the file links (Black, White, Dark Grey, Silver, Color1 and Color2)
> - the default frame elements (Ruler before / after, Indent, Frame 1,
> Frame 2)
> - the layouts of e.g. file links (Layout 1, Layout 2, Layout 3) [and
> give them speaking names while we're at it]
> - others?
>
> Move where?
> - to CSS styled content / the static templates extension

Which is a good idea, because most of the people will use CSS styled content
anyway, so they won't get lost.

> Why?
> - Without either CSS styled content or the static templates extension
> those options make no sense at all, because you need some rendering
> that processes them. Atm that is delivered mostly by CSS styled
> content so logically the options should be in there, too.
> - Moving them to both extensions and setting them to deprecated in CSS
> styled content would additionally give the possibility to get rid of
> them (I mean, who needs those background colors? CSS styled content,
> right? (emphasis on CSS!) ;))

Setting them to "deprecated" or getting rid of them IMHO is no good idea,
since newbies won't ever guess how to handle stuff like frames, different CE
layouts and others, without having these very useful examples.
If the emphasis is on CSS, this means we should change the way they are
handled now and deliver default CSS settings for them. For many (especially
non professional) people these defaults are just enough to setup a basic
website and we should not take them away just because others might be on the
"TYPO3 is an enterprise level CMS" trip.

And BTW: There is a parallel universe besides XHTML, so having stuff like
bgcolor="#123456" for tables, rows and cells is not always deprecated. Maybe
it's a better approach to change the way this stuff gets handled based on
config settings instead of completely reomving it, so that people who are
using basic HTML as their output can still work with it.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de