[TYPO3-mvc] Cached plugin with partially uncached content

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Tue Jul 1 22:10:11 CEST 2014

Hi Stephan,

On 01.07.14 14:25, Stephan Schuler wrote:

> The provided extension looks quite awesome.

Thanks :)

> The only bad thing about it: It doesn't really fit the task here.

Depends how you want to solve it and how much time you have for a
complex solution ;)

> The way to go -- and that's what Helmut pointed out -- would be to completely move the rating mechanism out of the current thing.
> Don't make the "showDomainSomethingAction" do "showRating" inline and use "updateRating" as an ajax, but move both, showRatingAction and updateRatingAction and make it a completely new request. That's the only way to really separate the cached "showDomainSomethingAction", the cached "showRatingAction" (which gets cleared more often than the output of "showDomainSomethingAction") and the uncached "updateRatingAction".

Back on track? :)

> Chris pointed to the caching framework and use an output cache. You definitively can do that.

Which would be quite complex …

> If you use an additional plugin for showRatingAction and initialize it with Helmuts extension, that should be harmless.

My suggestion would be to go that path. It is easy to implement and as a
bonus it fits the "seperation of concerns" principle, having (generic?)
voting functionality separated from your main domain.

Kind regards,
Helmut

--
Helmut Hummel