[TYPO3-mvc] encrypd cookies in TYPO3

Chris Wolff - AERTiCKET AG cwolff at aer.de
Mon Dec 22 10:33:52 CET 2014

Hallo
If cookie encryption makes sense depends on your session Handling Strategie.

a) If you store the session values on the server side (as typo3 does) and only hand out a "identifier" (session id)
To the user. It makes no sense to encrypt the session-id as you replace one random string with another.

b) If on the other hand store session values in the users browser (as many ruby on rails apps do) it makes perfect sense
To encrypt the values. As you don't want the users to tamper with your session data.

c) A third option to use the cookies is to store some "settings", like sorting of a list view, if you sort that list via javascript, and similar.
Here encryption makes no sense to encrypt as the user has access to all your javascripts and therefore the encryption methods and could encrypt every value he wants.

Cookie encryption makes only sense to "protect" you against manipulation of cookie data. It does NOT protect you from cookie stealing an cookie Reuse.
Against cookie Stealing use HTTPS.
Against cookie Reuse try IP and/or Client Lock.

Regards Chris