[TYPO3-mvc] Migration of static Tanslations from 4.6 to 6.3

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Tue Aug 12 14:57:32 CEST 2014

On 08/12/2014 02:52 PM, g4-lisz at tonarchiv.ch wrote:
> Hi there
>
> We wrote a quite large Extbase extension a few years ago. It's heavily
> using XML translation files in EXTDIR/Private/Resources/Language and
> typo3conf/l10n/LANG/EXTNAME.
>
> Our client was using LL-XML in the backend for maintaining the translations.
>
> What is the way to go for a smooth transition from 4.6 to 6.3 LTS? Most
> of the work is already done (EXT is up and running), but we didn't
> change anything concerning the XML files. Is there a need to change
> them, and if yes, why?
>
> Is there a replacement for LL-XML in 6.3 LTS?

You mean 6.2 LTS.

XML is still supported, though the recommended way (and what is used in
the core etc.) nowadays is XLIFF. You might have come across .xlf-files.
Basically that also just XML, with a slightly different notation. XLIFF
as a standard in translation is more widespread in the industry afaik.

You might be able to create a small converter-job for your specific
case. Or you can use EXT:extdeveval which offers an XML-to-XLF-converter
from the backend. (But then you'll need to click for each file to be
converted - depends on the number of files if that's feasible for you.)

Kind regards,
 Stefan