[TYPO3-mvc] EXT:smoothmigration - documentation - automatic migration

Stig Nørgaard Færch snf at dkm.dk
Tue Aug 12 10:37:04 CEST 2014

Hello

Is this the main documentation for EXT:smoothmigration?
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/InstallationGuide/UpgradeLTS/Index.html

Or should I looke elsewhere?
In this document its advertised that some migrations are done automatically:
Calls to deprecated and removed static methods: Some of these can be
__migrated automatically__!

Usages of require_once calls to core files that were moved or renamed.
Simply remove the require_once call in your extensions and just use the
needed classes: TYPO3 will take care of loading these classes by means
of the auto-loader. This can be __automatically migrated__ by this
extension!

Usage of a UTF-8 database: In TYPO3 4.5 database character sets other
than UTF-8 were deprecated, but could still be used. This is no longer
possible in TYPO3 6.2, so this check will make sure you are using UTF-8
already in your database. The smoothmigration extension provides an
__automatic migration__ routine for this problem as well.

Fine, so I expected this feature to be in the module, as nothing else is
stated.

But then I find hints that these auto migrations can only be run through
CLI
(http://wiki.t3up.uni-wuppertal.de/doku.php?id=migrationsstrategie#tipps_tricks).

Shouldn't this be in the doc?

Also. Maybe it should also be noted that when TYPO3 is updated to 6.2,
the smoothmigration extension ceases to function.

Best regards
Stig