[TYPO3-mvc] Rendering sys_category in a plugins flexform

Jan Kornblum jan.kornblum at gmx.de
Thu Oct 17 15:14:41 CEST 2013

Hi Francois,

great, thanky for your reply.

>> sorry for the many posts regarding sys_category. Its integration into
>> the core is really a great feature, but (at least for me) there is to
>> less documentation about it. Who has developed this feature or where to
>> get more information about it? This newsgroup doesn't seem to be read by
>> the developers of sys_category... I'm aware that the core developers
>> cannot spent much time answering each question here, but without getting
>> more information nobody in here will be able to e.g. update the wiki
>> pages...
>
> Indeed the documentation for that feature is still missing. One main reason
> is that system categories really didn't start working properly until 6.1.
> Then features were (are still being) added in 6.2 and since I'm involved also
> in those I spent time there rather than writing proper documentation.

O.K. I'v extended the wiki page yesterday starting from:
http://wiki.typo3.org/TYPO3_6.0#Adding_categories_to_own_models_using_Extension_Builder
- Will this be automatically be checked against from any member of the
core team? AS i don't want to publish things that might be not correct
;)

> That being said I have no clue how well or not system categories are
> integrated in Extbase, so I can't help you with that.
>
>> Now my question: Is it possible to integrate the category tree selection
>> into a plugins flexform? I mean the rendering output like
>> makeCategorizable() does, to be able to select certain categories in a
>> plugin configuration and access them later from inside a controller?
>
> IMO it should work, except you can't rely on makeCategorizable() do the job
> for you. You'll have to write the whole flexform definition by copying what's
> in makeCategorizable().

O.K. As i am currently playing around with the categories, i will try
to follow your hint and if successful, add this to the wiki page.

I think i will also open a feature request for this. Perhaps any
utility function could be integrated into the core for this (?), as a
category selection from inside a plugin might be whished quite
regularly.

Kind regards, Jan