[TYPO3-mvc] TYPO3-Core complete rebuild to realize modern development paradigms?

Felix Oertel fo at lightwerk.com
Thu Aug 29 17:44:22 CEST 2013

Hey Gabriel,

Am 29.08.13 08:56, schrieb Gabriel Kaufmann | Typoworx:
>I don't want to blame the developers work they have partly done really
great.

Thanks, we partly feel flattered.

> Developing this way takes a lot more time and budget than calculated on basis of our current project experiences.

First of all: it does not.

Second, you don't have to use it. What keeps you, from going old school?

I don't really get that bashing. Feel free to fire up some pi1 class and
write some good old typo3db->exec_SELECTquery(), what's the problem? I
mean ... even just put a .php in your fileadmin and wrap up some
USER_INT typoscript. There's no gun to your head ...

> PS:
> We have currently a look on TYPO3 Catharsis (a TYPO3 6.x fork; https://github.com/lolli42/TYPO3.CMS-Catharsis) and get in touch with the fork-developers team.

IMHO the "fork" part is not right in the docs ... from my understanding,
Christian is just maintaining an own repository to experiment with some
stuff and then merge it into the core later on. He is still a more than
active contributor to the core.

> If anything fails and we can't find a consense with them - we are thinking about our own roadmap for a additional TYPO3 tree

I really really don't mean that personal, just a quick thinking:

If you are not able to deal with the bugs, current core is giving you,
how are you going to build up on your own one? I mean, your fork will be
a copy of the current core, so you will have exactly the same bugs. You
will have to fix them AND THEN develop your own stuff ... so you
probably could just fix the bugs in the current core in the first place.

> with or without support of the wide (breaking) TYPO3-Community.

I think everyone of us, once stood up on the descission to build his /
her own CMS. There is nothing bad about that. Everyone of us once
thought, he / her was smarter than anybody else and could rock down a
CMS on his / her own.

But experience shows us ... noone is. ;-) Joined forces led us, to what
TYPO3 is today. There are uncountable hours of work in the TYPO3 core,
noone of us (not you, not me, not Christian) could do on his / her own.
So the goal should be, to keep forces joined and get things straight.

regards, foertel