[TYPO3-mvc] TYPO3-Core complete rebuild to realize modern development paradigms?

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon Aug 12 19:59:49 CEST 2013

Hi Gabriel,

Gabriel Kaufmann | Typoworx wrote:

> We are developers also trying to provide patches and bugfixes for
> TYPO3-Core and came to the idea, that some parts of TYPO3-Core are just
> too much got stucked in it's current code-concept.

Others already answered to your questions, but I want to add something for
clarification: the vision

We - the active contributor, thus the active devs - are well aware of the
current limitations and the technological deeps of the current TYPO3 CMS
core.
That means that we will not change or rewrite TCEmain or TCEforms. That
would break to much.
Also we will try to create an easy transition for extensions, meaning we
will only break stuff if the core can be replaced with little work.
Of course we are not bound to this, but that can be seen as the main idea.

For the new concepts and the radical rewritten approaches, we have Flow
(Framework) and Neos (CMS).

We will try to converge CMS with Flow/Neos further and further, see also
Berlino Manifesto:
http://typo3.org/roadmap/berlin-manifesto/
(TYPO3 v5 is the code name of TYPO3 Flow/Neos)

We hope that we can arrange an integration of Flow and CMS in TYPO3 7.0 (in
about a year), but we are not sure if this will work out.
The idea is, that you can use any Flow package (including Neos) alongside of
CMS. Then you can write your custom code with Flow, but still use CMS for
the parts that you need - getting the best of both worlds. But this is still
far future.

Nevertheless, we will try to implement (composer) package support in TYPO3
CMS 6.2 LTS (most likely without graphical management tool). That would mean
that you could use any composer lib inside CMS 6.2 (e.g. doctrine).

And of course we will continue to cleanup the backend and to rewrite some of
the modules to extbase/fluid.

The vision document has not been published as far as I know, but you can
read the main points in the protocols of the active contributor meetups
(ACME).

I really suggest that you take a look at Flow, because I really think that
you will find there what you want :)

http://flow.typo3.org/

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!