[TYPO3-mvc] Discussion: Extbase is too unstable to be used in production

Gabriel Kaufmann | Typoworx info at typoworx.de
Mon Aug 12 12:22:45 CEST 2013

Hello Lorenz,

thank you for providing your opinion.

Well I think the "->statement" method should be only used in worst case.
But in fact Extbase ORM dropped a lot of database-functions that are
well known by MySQL and even Doctrine does them well.

FLOW also switched to Doctrine ORM - but Extbase didn't do this switch,
even if it's aiming to be a backport of FLOW. It's too bad they startet
the Backporting while FLOW3 also was in a more or less "unstable" state
and not stable yet.

> It would be interesting to learn which concrete pitfalls you had and
> how you tackled them. This would make the discussion more purposeful.
Ok here we are:

We developed a booking-system for a customer which we had to realize
with some relations between tables. It was real hard work to make the
Controler correctly work on these relations.

Some JOIN's didn't work as expected . Extbase even does not support
GROUP-BY which was mandatory for us in some cases. All in all we had
expected more of Extbase while learning to develop on that while
experiencing (on other projects) how well that work can be done on
Doctrine PHP-Coding.

We also tried to introduce the idea to implement Doctrine in Extbase by
leaving the syntax as is and using a modernized database-mapper based on
Doctrine. Even trying to offer our help and work on that, this topic was
only roghly refused without thinking about pro's and con's.

Best regards

Gabriel