[TYPO3-mvc] TYPO3-Core complete rebuild to realize modern development paradigms?

Gabriel Kaufmann | Typoworx info at typoworx.de
Mon Aug 12 12:11:39 CEST 2013

Hello Jigal,

thanks for your feedback and critics are also welcome!

To try to give some short feedback on your suggestions:

> First of all, the extensive use of words like "old", "antique",
> "dusty", etcetera gives a rather negative vibe. The fact that
> technology or code wasn't created last week doesn't mean that it isn't
> usable or maintained.
I think both of our opinions are correct partly:

Of course "old" functions are not always bad or never touched since it's
initial release. But since I also had some projects I needed to figure
out and find bugfixes that are core-based, I think I can have my opinion
on the code there. Of course my opinion does not apply on the whole
core! But as mentioned there are some places that might have been
updated, but somehow it's structure is "locked" in a state to maintain
compatibility that it makes impossible to give it the new kick to
modernize it.

I think it's only a matter of time that places will become a real
problem for TYPO3 then....

> Same reason as 1.; you can use better relationships in your extensions.
As long as the TYPO3-Kickstarter, TYPO3 Tutorials and Literature is
introducing the function as it is, it will never be dropped by
developers! In some cases I also need a feature like that, but I would
prefer a solution that is modernized in it's backend/storage under the hood!

Of course this may lead into some adaptions in the Core as until today I
even didn't find a core-method that covers the Split-Preparation for
this situation. Every single place is covered by custom code there,
which makes a fix to something new harder.

But I also think it may be possible to find a solution that makes the
Core have a fallback-option that transparently changes the
storage-solution. Only some Extensions using direct MySQL may lead to
incompatibility which could be fixed by an Announcement and introducing
a Core-function solving this issue.

> Regarding FlexForms...
>
> The XML is transformed into a PHP array. Flexforms are for example a
> powerful tool to make BE forms for editing plugin configuration.
I totally agree with you and I'm also a supporter of FlexForms as I
really love to use them!

But as you stated: FlexForms are rather the same than native TCA
(PHP-Array). But why then some features documentated in TCA-Syntax
simply don't work as expected then?

To give only one banal example I am currently fighting with: FlexForms
"Select" doesn't support foreign_table_where Markers (###REC_FIELD_[
fieldname ]###) for a back-relation to the FlexForm-Fields itself! F.e.
TemplaVoila does automatically "merge" the current database-table with
the FlexForm-Data it is currently focused in. For Non-TemplaVoila
Flexforms (f.e. TCEforms) you always have to cook your own itemsProcFunc
solving the problem by hand.
( Refer to: http://forge.typo3.org/issues/50785 )

I think such features should work out of the Box: If TCA provides it,
there should be a similar/same way to do it in FlexForms.

> You've started a discussion about this in a separate thread, so I
> think it's best to keep it there.
Your correct. It should not be part of this discussion here to solve
that - but in fact it's one focus of the problem discussed here.

> It's always possible that bug reports or feature requests are closed
> which should not have been closed. [..]
Of course I know and understand your argumentation. I also know that
most developers (even like me) work more or less for free or in their
spare time on the TYPO3-Project.

But if there is a solution for a problem is provided "on tablet" with a
patch that could be approved and used, I think those issues could be
processed prefered as they may improve TYPO3 a lot. I also found
sometimes really nerve-wracking bugs that I thought I post the bug as
first-person - but then found out there exists a complete bug-track with
a patch provided (that even works for us), but the Issue itself is
sometimes older than one year where nobody takes notice of that!

For developers like me spending their time on such things, it is also
frustrating if nobody of the community seems to care about that and the
work was useless as it is not noticed for newer TYPO3 releases.

> also came to the conclusion that there might be the right time to start
> something "new" upon TYPO3 to begin a new-age for TYPO3.

As noticed in my last post... I have eyes on NEOS and hope they don't do
the same faults they've done on TYPO3 v.4 Extbase and TYPO3 6.x _not
doing a clean-cut-off_ old paradigms.

Best regards