[TYPO3-mvc] TYPO3-Core complete rebuild to realize modern development paradigms?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Aug 12 11:32:16 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 12-8-2013 10:30, Gabriel Kaufmann | Typoworx wrote:
> To name only some of the main problems (as our own personal opinion):

First of all, the extensive use of words like "old", "antique", "dusty",
etcetera gives a rather negative vibe. The fact that technology or code
wasn't created last week doesn't mean that it isn't usable or maintained.
One of the pros of TYPO3 CMS is that it is quite backwards compatible
and where the compatibility is lost the changes are mostly easy to
replace with newer functionality.

> 1. The "old" antiquated use of string-relations in TYPO3 (TCA-Type
>     "Group" / "DB") saving it's relation internally as String
>     ("[TABLE]_[UID]").

You can use mm_tables to create relations between your own tables. The
"old" features are here to let older code work. The reason why core
functionality still uses it is most of the time that changing it would
break a lot of third party code.

>     There are better alternatives in times of modern programming and
>     ORM-Database tools like (to name only one), Doctrine.

It's not a matter of a drop-in replacement to switch to something like
Doctrine. A lot of 'magic' functionality exists in the TYPO3 core. For
example, if you insert a record using DataHandler (formerly known as
TCEmain) workspaces/versioning is taken into account, validations and
restrictions from TCA are performed, access rights for BE users are
evaluated, etc.
Also, some features of DBAL (mapping of tables and columns) must be
recreated.

> 2. Usage of the old-styled relations mentioned in 1. are more than bad
>     and dirty to handle in f.e. "foreign_table_where" (f.e. TCA Select)
>     clauses.

Same reason as 1.; you can use better relationships in your extensions.

> 3. Rendering of FlexForms is a nice to have feature. Nevertheless
>     internally in t3lib processing it is real hard to realize a real
>     compatibility
>     between TCA and FlexForms (which should have nearly the same syntax
>     / feature-richness) despite of that one is PHP-Array and the other
>     some extended XML-Format.

The XML is transformed into a PHP array. Flexforms are for example a
powerful tool to make BE forms for editing plugin configuration.

> 4. Extbase is a Core-Extension that still is "unstable" (even if marked

You've started a discussion about this in a separate thread, so I think
it's best to keep it there.

> *We also noticed in the last weeks that some feature-requests and
> bug-tracks on TYPO3-Forge/Issue-Tracker have been (in our opinion)
> premature rejected or have just been ignored for some month - even if we
> provided a patch that should have been provided a working solution for
> some issues.*

It's always possible that bug reports or feature requests are closed
which should not have been closed. This can happen if the report is not
very clear or is misinterpreted.
Another reason for closing issues is that there hasn't been feedback for
a long time (usually 90 days minimum).
Time is limited for the developers who work on TYPO3 CMS in their spare
time. It's simply not possible to fix everything. Most people try to fix
the things which seem to be most needed or which are in their field of
expertise.
For patches which are pushed to Gerrit the same problem with limited
time still exists.

 > And we
> also came to the conclusion that there might be the right time to start
> something "new" upon TYPO3 to begin a new-age for TYPO3.

http://neos.typo3.org/

It's already under development :-)

--
Jigal van Hemert