[TYPO3-mvc] Discussion: Extbase is too unstable to be used in production

Gabriel Kaufmann | Typoworx info at typoworx.de
Mon Aug 12 09:45:09 CEST 2013

I recently came to the conclusion, that Extbase should not be delivered
as mandatory part of the TYPO3-Core anymore.

Currently Extbase is integrated as Sys-Extension in TYPO3-Core and also
some existing Extensions, that belong to the TYPO3 main-features still
base on Extbase making it mandatory (f.e. Workspaces as far as I know).

*You are shurely asking why?*

The current Extbase ORM (Database mapping) does not even support the
following base-functions of MySQL in a working manner:
COUNT, GROUP BY, FIND_IN_SET, CONCAT

Shurely the Extbase MVC is a really good work and start - but it still
not readed "stable" status! But why then it is delivered with TYPO3-Core
and used in some of the Backend-Features?

There recently has been a hot discussion (#50635) regarding some "basic"
features still missing in the Extbase-ORM / Database-Mapping. Someone
stated that "Extbase was always meant to be a playground for trying a
Flow-style of development". That user is a supporter of Extbase, but
saying itself, that it is not ready fort production yet?

We are also three developers "trying" to use Extbase development now for
about nearly one year. Most users and books say that Extbase has become
"the new" way of TYPO3 programming.

As MVC was very welcome for us in TYPO3 development, we've done some
business-projects for our customers as Extbase was never mentioned to be
"unstable" or "incomplete". There it turned out, that some really nifty
and basic things simply don't work at all. Most common these errors
where basing on the current ORM/Database handling Extbase is using.

We had to invest a lot of time to do hacks, tricks and even "trick out"
Extbase-Repositories by using regular MySQL-Statements.
_But I don't think this is a clean and stable way to develop clean code!_

I'm really not want to blame Extbase or the hard time developers have
worked on it! But I don't understand why there hasn't been used some
existing, well-engineered and tested ORM. We also work with Doctrine in
some Non-TYPO3 projects. This has all the pro's of Extbase-ORM and even
more.

I write this bugtrack because Extbase should be delivered using TER for
those one really want to work on it. Extbase should be set back to
"unstable"-state to not confuse developers investing time into
production projects, that is making them frustrated and forcing using
unclean programming to trick out Extbase.

Extbase is really welcome to me as a MVC-Solution. But not until it has
become really stable and covering those features that TYPO3 and MySQL
already offer as basic functions.

I'm open for discussion and possible solutions here.
You are also welcome to just drop a message about the missing Extbase
features, that should have been working yet in a "stable" version.

--

    Mit freundlichen Grüßen

    Gabriel Kaufmann