[TYPO3-mvc] Fluid/Extbase and long term operation

Claus Due claus at wildside.dk
Wed Sep 5 16:46:31 CEST 2012

Hi Robert,

Probably the best way to do this is to create a custom Scheduler job (not the Extbase one) and enable it to continually update the additional information that is presented in [ square brackets ] in the Scheduler module. Then instruct the BE user to simply trigger a task you previously configured and told not to execute automatically (unless you also need that, it may make sense to schedule it given that you're importing things).

Once the task is started, manually or otherwise, the user can continue to use the BE. If he then views the Scheduler module he can see a percentage update or "X of Y" style progress indication.

For a practical example on how this is used see the Scheduler jobs for the new versions of index_search among others. Using this additional feedback is superb for scripts that have very long execution times.

PS: it is possible to read the additional information directly from the Scheduler task as stored in DB and the same is true for forcing a task to be re-scheduled to run immediately (and if ncessary re-schedule itself after execution) - happy hacking! ;)

Cheers,
Claus