[TYPO3-mvc] FYI: Migrating to Git/Gerrit

Felix Oertel mehl at foertel.com
Fri Jan 28 12:47:01 CET 2011

Hey,

super-foertel coming to take your fear ... *g

Am 28.01.11 11:24, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> There are a lot of things about this which still worry me:
> - texts like "after 6 months I really got the hang of it" mean that it takes quite a study to use something for... versioning of source code
that is just because there are a lot of thing you *can* do with it ...
and after some time *want* to do. but you'll be up and running with a
working copy and the skills to commit bugs in about 30 minutes.

it will cost you another 30 minutes the first time you have to checkout
an older commit to re-work stuff and apply a second version of the patch.

> - book recommendations... you can explain the 4 (or so) actions an average developer needs for svn in minutes
yeah, but that simplicity limits you in possibilities a lot. there are
tons of things you can't do with svn. there are quite some books out
there explaining the insights, giving you a good feeling about what
happens under the hood and showing example workflows.

> - no clients integrated in the GUI for all platform used by TYPO3 developers (one actually *has* to use a console for this?)
that's not right. there are (more or less comfort) clients out there for
every os.

i'm running macos x and using gitx (while there is a full featured
client named tower) which is very basic but provides nearly everything
you need for your patch/review-workflow.

> There is always need for more man power to program all the stuff we want to realize in a new release and to fix (simple) bugs.
yeah, but at the moment too much manpower is bound in diff/patch for
reviewing. people send in broken diffs not based on the root folder or
in wrong format. everytime you wanna test something you most likely ruin
your own changes. and it's allways a pain to test patches based on let's
say a hundred revisions younger version.

in git handling of this things get alot easier. it's easier to test
other peoples things without affecting your own working copy. and with
gerrit it's a lot easier (not even comparable) to proof-read stuff and
vote your +-1.

i think svn did it's job, but there are reasons people switched from cvs
a long time ago and so there are reasons to move forward towards git now.

regards, foertel