[TYPO3-mvc] FYI: Migrating to Git/Gerrit

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 28 11:24:30 CET 2011

Hi,

On 28-1-2011 10:05, Bastian Waidelich wrote:
>> have you tried TortoiseGit [1] yet?
>
> Yes, it's nicely integrated. But it tries to handle git like svn which
> doesn't really work. But maybe I'll give it a second chance - I like to
> have the immediate feedback of local changes.
>
> BTW: For pushing to Gerrit you'll probably have to use the console
> anyways. At least SmartGit does not seem to support the "pushurl" option.

Can we move this discussion to a more general list, because it seems
that all parts of TYPO3 will move to Git/Gerrit in the near future.

There are a lot of things about this which still worry me:
- texts like "after 6 months I really got the hang of it" mean that it
takes quite a study to use something for... versioning of source code
- book recommendations... you can explain the 4 (or so) actions an
average developer needs for svn in minutes
- no clients integrated in the GUI for all platform used by TYPO3
developers (one actually *has* to use a console for this?)

There is always need for more man power to program all the stuff we want
to realize in a new release and to fix (simple) bugs. Can you really ask
someone to supply a patch if that person has to read a book and practise
for several months a version control system just to make single patch??

A version control system is supposed to be a tool to make things easier,
isn't it?

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert