[TYPO3-mvc] FYI: Migrating to Git/Gerrit

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Wed Jan 26 14:40:45 CET 2011

Hey Christian,

>> I also don't get started with git. Just yesterday I wanted to pull the
>> most recent version from a git repo and it said that it couldn't merge
>> files because I did local modfications. It suggested me to "stash" my
>> changes first. WTF, can't git simply merge files or ask to resolve
>> conflicts like SVN did? Can't imagine that I always have to clean up
>> my local repo first.
>
> Yep you have to do something with your local changes (i.e. commit or
> stash) before merging. Except for development in progress you usually
> don't have uncommitted changes. You should just commit everything. :)

well, it's a foreign read only repo, so how should I commit my local
changes/adoptions? In my case it was the source code of XBMC where I
applied some patches adding features I'd like to have. But of course I
still want the source to be up to date with the master branch, so I did
a "git pull".

> If you only plan to do slightly changes on the original code the
> original repository should be on your "master" branch. You could create
> a "my-custom-modifications" branch to do your custom changes and commit
> your changes to that branch. And if you plan on committing a bugfix
> switch back to the "master" branch, create a "patch" branch and do your
> changes to a clean repository. When you've done jump back to your custom
> branch.

I thought git would make things easier - doesn't sound like that for
such a simple use case though ;) If I got your right - whatever I do,
first clone the master branch, then create my local private branch and
apply all changes there. I'll give that a try and see how I can still
keep them in sync without having to move mountains for that.

>> Does anybody know a good git tutorial/documentation which is not just
>> describing method by method but giving workflow examples?
>
> I found http://progit.org/book/ rather helpful.

thanks, I'll have a look.