[TYPO3-mvc] FYI: Migrating to Git/Gerrit

Christian Zenker christian.zenker at 599media.de
Wed Jan 26 14:16:08 CET 2011

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:44:55 +0100, Franz Koch
<typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de> wrote:

Hi.

> I also don't get started with git. Just yesterday I wanted to pull the
> most recent version from a git repo and it said that it couldn't merge
> files because I did local modfications. It suggested me to "stash" my
> changes first. WTF, can't git simply merge files or ask to resolve
> conflicts like SVN did? Can't imagine that I always have to clean up my
> local repo first.

Yep you have to do something with your local changes (i.e. commit or
stash) before merging. Except for development in progress you usually
don't have uncommitted changes. You should just commit everything. :)
I haven't used svn that much myself. But I think one main difference
between it and git is the use of branches. You create branches in git more
often.
If you only plan to do slightly changes on the original code the original
repository should be on your "master" branch. You could create a
"my-custom-modifications" branch to do your custom changes and commit your
changes to that branch. And if you plan on committing a bugfix switch back
to the "master" branch, create a "patch" branch and do your changes to a
clean repository. When you've done jump back to your custom branch.

> Does anybody know a good git tutorial/documentation which is not just
> describing method by method but giving workflow examples?

I found http://progit.org/book/ rather helpful.

Christian.