[TYPO3-mvc] RFC #12213: Repository countAll() dosn't honor sys_language_uid

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Fri Jan 14 21:18:05 CET 2011

Am 14.01.2011 14:08, schrieb Franz Koch:
> Hey,
>
>> i thought so, but can't find it. Maybe Sebastian could remember or tell
>> us. He seems to be the author of the class.
>
> I can tell you the reason -> performance. Your current solution would fetch ALL objects from DB,
> perform the overlays etc and after that perform a simple count. This is way to much overhead and
> could in the worst case lead to memory_issues having to fetch thousands of objects only to perform a
> simple count. So there has to be a different/better solution for this.

Can't we do a single overlay (no fallbacks) for COUNT(*) with SQL only (using an outer join)?

Masi

PS: I once played with a pure SQL language overlay. Instead of plain fields the query had lots of
SQL functions as columns. But as my suggestion above it would only work for a setup without any
fallback languages.