[TYPO3-mvc] Where do helper classes go?

Henjo Hoeksma me at henjohoeksma.nl
Wed Apr 13 11:26:29 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-11 23:15:28 +0200, Sy Moen said:

> I have "trails" as coordinate sets in my model, but in order to display them
> in certain cases, the coordinate sets must undergo heavy transformation. I
> cannot just plug the data into a template. For instance gpx or (ouch) MS
> Streets and Trips data has to be transformed to a ubiquitous format via an
> external (system) utility.
>
> I assume this is a "Service", right? Like the mp3 meta extractor, or a
> pdf2txt class... those would be services I assume.
>
> Maybe someone knows of an extension that does this already that I can look
> through?

Hi Sy,

for something like pdf2txt I would use a viewhelper (which goes in the
Classes/ViewHelpers folder).

As far as I know it is perfectly fine to use this kind of folder structure:

Classes/ViewHelpers/MyViewHelper.php
Classes/Services/MyService.php
Classes/Helpers/MyHelper.php

Never created a utility before, but I would reckon you check out the
structure extbase / fluid is using and stick to that.

Good luck!

Henjo