[TYPO3-mvc] Validation of non-mandatory DateTime fields

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Apr 12 11:20:40 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I stumbled on a weird behavior of the DateTime data type. Assuming I
declare a property as having to validate as a DateTime object, i.e.

/**
  * Date and time of the doctor's examination
  *
  * @var DateTime $doctorDate
  * @validate DateTime
  */
protected $doctorDate;

If the date is wrong upon input (say somebody entered "xxxx"), I'll get
a validation error and the input form gets reloaded with an empty value
in the Date field. That's fine.

However if I leave the field empty (which is supposed to be fine,
because it's not mandatory) and the form gets reloaded because of some
other input error, the field is now filled with the current date, which
is not desirable. At which point in the process was the current date
"injected" into my property? Is there any way to prevent this?

Cheers

--

Francois Suter