[TYPO3-mvc] shared partials - or let us be able to set a "extensionkey" for f:render

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Tue Oct 26 02:40:20 CEST 2010

Hey list,

I'm currently working on a website where three extensions work together.
One extension providing basic/generic models, functions and viewHelpers
(like for rendering contact informations of persons), another one is
extending the main extension and reusing parts of it, and of course the
main extension itself.
Now I wan't to be able to use partials from my generic extension in all
templates as well as partials of my main extension in my extending one.

I know that I could change the partial folders of all extension to a
dedicated folder and create copies of the partials there, but I don't
like that for several reasons:

- I dislike having my generic partials spread and have to keep track of
changes in order to merge them in my trunk version
- When I think of TER extensions, I would always have to copy their
probably new partials to my folder, only because I want to reuse them
unchanged only because I'm also rendering a model of this extension that
should have the very same look

So my proposal would be to add a new parameter "extensionKey" (or alike)
to the "render" viewHelper that allows to define from which extension
configuration the partial/template shall be resolved. Might also be
useful for widgets (so they may come some day).

What do you think?