[TYPO3-mvc] Which version for extbase-newbie

Bastian Waidelich bastian.waidelich at typo3.org
Wed Nov 24 23:32:31 CET 2010

Michael Janssen wrote:

Hi Micheal,

> i will start programming with extbase, but I'm not sure, which version i
> should use.

Great, welcome in the club ;)
As with every software you should try to avoid beta (or alpha) versions
in productive environments. And especially if you're not familiar with a
product you should rely on stable releases.

> How i read, the 1.2 shipped with TYPO3 4.4.x is really different
> from the 1.3.

That's not true. Extbase 1.3 will be mostly backwards compatible.
Currently we're in the first Beta and there are some inconsistencies and
breaking changes. We're working on reducing them.
Nevertheless, there are some changes that might break existing code, see
[1].
If you follow the best practices and respect the public API [2] you most
probably won't have any problems upgrading to 1.3.
The stable release is planned on 26th January, together with the release
of TYPO3 4.5.

So, my suggestion would be:
Start with the last stable release. When you earned some experience and
got a first version running, try an Extbase & Fluid update and see,
whether everything still works. And if that's not the case, feel free to
ask here.

Good luck and have fun ;)
Bastian

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-mvc/wiki/Breaking_Changes